The term ‘safe’ often springs up in our minds when we think about our living space. For many of us, a home isn’t just a protective roof above our heads. It’s more of a place where we find a haven of comfort in this hectic era. It’s our quarters where we loosen up after a long, tiring day and let our guards down.
Considering how highly we think about our living space, it’s challenging to process that our homes comprise items that pose serious health risks to our well-being. Most people invest plenty of cash in home security systems to protect their houses from outdoor dangers. Yet, they remain heedless to heaps of health hazards that sneak around in the house.
The fact is that specific household articles can make your home’s environment hazardous without you even knowing. Whether these products are the reasons behind the accidents or cause diseases – one thing stands clear: your living space isn’t as safe as you initially thought.
Given this, it’s crucial to know the facts about every product. So, you can decide which items to keep and which ones to be wary of in your home. Ahead are a few of them:
Small household appliances such as popcorn poppers, ironing boards, slow cookers, toasters, and bottle warmers are often asbestos-laden. Meaning – the asbestos insulation surrounding the heating material is a fragile element that discharges asbestos fiber when the appliance switches on.
It’s relevant to note that asbestos can cause chronic illnesses, for instance, laryngeal cancer, ovarian, or mesothelioma (it may take years after exposure to develop these life-threatening diseases). Although in the early 1930s, medical professionals warned about the harmful effects of asbestos and how it can cause severe health conditions. Despite this, some companies carry on using asbestos in household products.
Suppose you or your loved one have become victims of such asbestos-containing products and developed malignant mesothelioma. In that case, you can file a mesothelioma lawsuit against the companies or the product manufacturers. This way, you can call the negligent party to account, hold them liable for their actions, and receive financial compensation to cover medical expenses.
Non-stick pans and pots
Let’s admit it – non-stick pans and pots have drastically changed our lives in the kitchen – the amount of energy required to scrub the stubborn smears and food bits is just too much. And yes, flipping the omelet has never been more effortless.
But this cookware generally contains Teflon, which isn’t a hazardous chemical. However, when this stable compound exceeds 500°F, it decomposes and releases poisonous chemicals into the atmosphere.
Not only this, but perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) is another chemical found in this culinary staple. According to studies, the chemical can cause various types of cancers. Another report claims that PFOA can lead to changes in body weight and increase body mass. Also, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has been continually attempting to halt the use of PFOA. So, should we still consider the non-stick cookware a blessing? Probably not.
The splintered paint on certain wall sections may not seem like real trouble. However, this chipping paint might pose serious health risks to you and your family. Homes built before the 1970s often have lead-based paint. Fortunately, the US government restricted the use of this paint and leaded gasoline in the early 1970s. It is no surprise, given its harmful effects on children and infants.
Lead-based paints can cause damage to nervous systems, kidneys, and blood cells. Not only this, but such paint can also become the reason for weight loss if inhaled. Moreover, using oil-based paints isn’t a feasible approach since this paint comprises organic solvents, which can give rise to fatigue and dizziness. While the symptoms of oil paint may vanish once you breathe in the fresh air, constant inhalation can trigger liver and blood issues.
Therefore, if you wish to give your home a new lick of paint and a new life to your living space, consider using colors void of lead and volatile organic compounds.
Who wishes to live in a house which stinks and contains an unusual odor? Undoubtedly, it can be a torment, all the more so when you spend most of your waking and sleeping hours indoors.
While you may wish to make your home give off the aroma of the meadow of flowers, you may rely on air fresheners. But, unfortunately, your attempt indirectly puts you and the inhabitants of your house at stake. That’s because anything you inhale ultimately goes into the blood. Air fresheners contain formulas and substances that can be pernicious to human well-being.
Often air fresheners contain chemicals such as ethanol and beta-Pinene that can lead to asthma problems, dermatitis, migraines, and infant illnesses. Some may even comprise compounds like petroleum distillates and aerosol fuels that can cause severe irritation in the throat and eyes and even cause brain damage and lung cancer.
Your humble abode is a place where you seek solace, find warmth, and feel secure. The thought of poisonous substances and toxins in your home often doesn’t cross your mind. However, as unfortunate as it sounds, several potentially detrimental household products might lurk around your living space.
While some of us may know what household items comprise, still most of us are unaware of their long-term impacts. Regardless of what the product label states, some dangers sneak around. A few of these products may include mothballs, toilet bowl cleaners, insect repellents, paints, and oven cleaners.
Although it’s next to impossible to eliminate such products from our house entirely, there are ways we can overcome their exposure. Therefore, be sure to conduct thorough research and be apprised of the hidden dangers that household items may contain. Also, learn about household articles’ shelf life before they become risky and use each with adequate preventive measures.